Success Story: Hotels
Mandarin Oriental (Hong Kong)
An outstanding solution for hotel lighting control, guestroom automation & broadband connectivity
I. CUSTOMER ENVIRONMENT / PROJECT CONTEXT
- Over 10,000 rooms in 23 countries
- Award-winning owner and operator of some of the world's most prestigious hotels and resorts
- Aim: "Be widely recognised as the BEST LUXURY HOTEL group in the world, providing exceptional customer satisfaction in each of the hotels"
- Growth Strategy: "To successfully operate 10,000 rooms in major business centres and key leisure destinations around the world, whilst continuing to expand presence globally"
Customer objective and constraints:
- Technologies to stand out from competition
- Guest experience driving use of in-room technologies
- Looking for global partner who can reduce installation time & easily replicate solution for project management in various countries
- Reducing energy costs without affecting guests
- Integrated converged networks to reduce CAPEX
II. SOLUTION IMPLEMENTATION
Implementation methodology (main phases):
Stong collaboration with Mandarin Oriental team
Strong adaptation capabilities
Quick implemtation of the mock-up room
Completion of the project in September 2006.
Schneider Electric has now set the standard for all future Mandarion Oriental development throughout the world.
Solution overview (services, products, systems, architectures...):
Automated Hotel Lighting Control
Based on the vast space and numerous lighting circuits, the Clipsal C-Bus Lighting & Control Management System is able to effortlessly manage and monitor the light circuits throughout the Hotel. The locations include Ground Floor Entrance Lobby, Ground Floor Café & Bar, First Floor Reception/Member Club, Fifth Floor & Sixth Floor Spa, Seventh Floor Restaurant/Lounge, Seventh Floor Private Dining Rooms & Meeting Rooms and Ballroom. Intelligent NEO switches were used as key input units for lighting control and C-Cosmo electrical accessories were deployed for back-room use.
- Pre-programmed automated lighting schedules low maintenance & reduced energy consumption.
- Each area is separated into independent zones with individual lighting scenes, enabling the different lighting scenes to be recalled for each of the zones.
- On-line control is easy to manage and designed to minimise and eliminate human errors.
- More efficient operational control along with cost and labour savings.
- Technologically advanced lighting & control to impress and enhance the hotel experience for guests.
Guestrooms Lighting & Control Solution
The ULTI guestroom control system powered by EZinstall technology provides easy execution of lighting and services, all within one touch of a button for dimming, curtains and scenes recall.
Details & benefits
- The rooms are equipped with the Clipsal Guestroom Solution that controls lighting, curtains, courtesy panels & bedside panels. The solution can be seamlessly integrated with INNCOM system via
RS232 for remote management of all rooms.
- ULTI switches and dimmers, powered by EZinstall, are used in the rooms. EZinstall technology is wireless and does not require extensive installation nor expense to operate and maintain.
The ULTI FreeLocate Switch is also used for multi-way switching that works in parallel with switches and dimmers from around the room on individual wall mounted frames.
Complete lighting control including all lights such as lamps, night & reading lights and others are controlled by EZinstall Lamp Dimmers that are connected to the Guest Room Control System using
- Automated room services enhance guests' experience and increase staff efficiency. With the Guest Management System integration, the EZinstall lighting solution automatically activates a welcome scene when guests step into the room. The ULTI range of electrical accessories, data and TV outlets are used throughout the room to match the style and decor of the room. ULTI switches, dimmers and bedside panels feature programmable LED backlight to assist guests in the dark. In case of network failure, the rooms continue to operate and function independently of the network with no guest disturbance.
Broadband Connectivity & Ethernet Backbone System
The Landmark Mandarin Oriental required a structured cabling system that can connect with different equipment such as shared network for PCs and printers, AV cabling, telecommunication, data communication, data centre & computer room facilities. Clipsal deployed its Category 5e & 6 Structured Cabling Solution to provide an ethernet backbone system for the 1,400 voice and data ports throughout the hotel.
In addition, Clipsal Hotel Solution also enables broadband services in the rooms for IP phone, Pay TV system & High Speed internet access. These services and facilities are enabled by Clipsal Home
The Connect system (CHC) which consolidates data, voice and video signals into a single hub and makes it easy and flexible to manage under a small scale structured cabling system.
- Peace of mind for customers that the network will perform as per link, channel and application requirements as Clipsal structured cabling products are in compliance with international standards.
- Modular design allows flexibility for future add-ons or modifications.
- Convenient and affordable in future renovation.
- Simple to expand the structured cabling system.
- Compact size allows easy access to service / trouble-shoot and execute hardware upgrades without interrupting the guests.
III. RESULTS / ACHIEVEMENT
A memorable & enjoyable stay for Guests
- Sophisticated and intuitive lighting control creates a variety of scenes and ambiences to suit guests' moods.
- Bedside one-touch control for guests to control curtains and lighting.
- Automated "Make-Up Room", "Do Not Disturb" & "Butler Paging" services add to more convenience and enjoyment for guests.
- Integrated calls for efficient internal & external communication.
Improved efficiency & savings for Client
- C-Bus is selected as the preferred lighting control system for the hotel's ballrooms, banquet halls, meeting rooms, restaurants and cafes, spa and lobby because it is a distributed and intelligent control system that controls and manages lighting, temperature, architecture dimming, high power switching and demand shedding. C-Bus also reduces the amount of cabling and installation time, while saving energy in the long run.
- Customisable on-line control of guestrooms based on occupancy status allows better service and energy savings.
- Scheduled lighting & dimming, together with pre-programmed scenes throughout the hotel saves electricity and life span of bulbs.
- An adaptable and future proof automation solution that is fully compatible with all light sources.
- Easy-to-use system makes remote control and management of the lighting in all public areas simpler and more efficient.
- Innovative and aesthetically beautiful lighting controls enhance service satisfaction within the rooms, the public areas and throughout the hotel.
- Category 5e & 6 Structured Cabling System delivers a high performance and reliable data communication system.
Customer testimonies (Verbatim):
''What impressed me most are the willingness and ability to customise their products to meet our requirements. such as high degree of customisation is only possible when the company treats this as part of their philosophy. I suspect that the organisation processes and the products are premeditated to fit this purpose from the beginning.''
Vincent Marot - The Project Director OR The Director of Project Development, Europe of Mandarin Oriental Hotel Group
Schneider Electric differentiating values VS competitors:
Strong relationship with Mandarin Oriental HQ
- VP Technology - Hotel Development
- Director of Project Development, Europe
- Group Engineering Design Manager - Projects
Schneider Electric unique product / solution
- Wired or Wireless Light control solution integrated with Guest Management System
- EPIC organiser (passive unit with HMDI / USB / RCA / VGA connection)
- Active auto detect EPIC organiser (2009)